What's new
Flip Flop Trading

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as access all indicators and scripts.

What made you start trading?

Wull

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd start a new post to try and help get some discussion underway and see why everyone began trading...I think it'd be interesting to canvas opinion.

I started to try and generate some extra income for the future and because my regular job is destroying my back. I've had a very painful back operation and it had me laid up for 6 months and I'd rather be doing something else.

I haven't found the key to success yet but I've already picked up some useful tips from here so many thanks to John.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Will, nice idea.

I remember it very clearly when I first found out about Forex. My dad had read some article about TUFXP (The Ultimate Forex Predictor) and he asked me had I ever heard of Forex and I hadn't. Over the next few weeks and months I was astounded at the sheer size of Forex and the volumes traded and immediately dived full steam into it. Since 2008 I've probably watched over 20,000 hours worth of charts. I had moments of madness and have only been consistently profitable since 2013.

Alejandro

I start forex because i saw advert on local tv for broker. I spend much time trying! I think like every person I would like to become good and make small money to help my family.

Horne

When I was young I used to gamble on horse races. I use to read the form guides, pick out horses which looked like they were coming into form. Then, In my early 20s I realised there were better odds betting on something that could either go up or down. I started trading small cap speculative mining stocks. I'd research companies and find ones that were expecting to release preliminary drilling results in the near future. Buy on the rumor, sell on the news. Prior to 2008, I was having moderate success (mainly due to the mining boom at the time probably in hindsight).
Then in 2008, markets turned pear shaped. The only way to make money was by short selling, the market was just going down everyday. I think it got so bad they even put a ban on short selling.
Wanting to take advantage of the massive volatility, I got into options, and then Contacts for Difference. Around this time I started looking at technical charts. Point and Figure, Renko, Market Profile Time Price Opportunity, Candlesticks. And I started reading more books and getting genuinely interested in economics, politics, ect..
Anyway, think I'm rambling on a bit. Back to the title of this thread, the reason i started trading is because I enjoyed having a punt. I don't think I got into it for the money.
These days it is for the money. It's a daily routine, it doesn't feel like gambling. But I guess that's debatable.

Spinning D

Founding Member
I became interested in Forex about 10 years ago when I read articles about people using a computer at home and making money in the markets.I read more articles and over some 4 years worked on creating and testing a mechanical system to operate on the Pound/Dollar during the London opening session.
After 3 years of testing I had a fully automatic product that really was working well and then Brexit followed by Trump's win happened and boom!! 2016 demonstrated to me that a purely mechanical approach will not work when markets are hit by "black swan" events.There were early signs when the referendum was announced in Feb 16 that the "cable" was entering a choppy period and this continued through to the vote and then as things calmed down went off again during the run in to the US election and it was obvious to me that the system was not going to perform well.
So it would appear that the approach that traders like John use is the best way to make long term gains.Having said that I shall continue to monitor my system to see if it returns to its previous performance levels.
In the meantime I am devising several mechanical systems for horse racing in the UK where if the "going" is dtermined accurately then "black swan" events can be avoided.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Who remembers Forex Net Trap?! Well that is what got myself involved in forex. To be fair the system worked for a good 6-8 months before market conditions changed. I've bounced from one idea to another without really finding anything that suits me. I'm currently watching John's divergence trading closely as it makes a lot of sense.

Dave H

Founding Member
Yes that was my first system also Aaron followed by Johns Autofocus FX. I have never managed to get consistent enough to really trust in the systems that i have tried, but i live in hope.

Chris Welsh

It is interesting and exciting at the same time, that's one of my reason why I entered the world of trading. Prices can change from time to time due to some factors and in this way, it can creates a lot of chances for retail traders as well.