What's new
Flip Flop Trading

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as access all indicators and scripts.

The Drain

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I've been thinking of ways to write this post for a while and find the right words to summarise my thoughts and feelings.

I think one aspect of trading overlooked is the mental strain it takes. It may not be so prevalent in part time traders but for myself who trades full time, I experience a lot of emotions and fatigue from trading. I was discussing with my parents and wife and we all agreed that 10-11 weeks at a time is the maximum before needing a break. Sitting down every single week day and starting with a blank canvas having to find ways to do the best job possible to make money is often very tricky.

With the timezone I work from, I often don't get to bed until 12.30-1am in the morning and I find it quite hard to switch the brain off so it takes another 30 mins or an hour to get to sleep. With the kids up at 6.30am I've had to find a way to adapt to not a huge amount of sleep and when the kids are at school I'll often have a morning snooze to try and recharge. However, I feel guilty for wasting the day so I'll often either try and take the ski out or play some golf to get some fresh air and energise myself.

I'm a very optimistic person, sometimes too much so but on occasions I'll stop and think what would happen if my trading stopped working and I could no longer make money. The notion of having to find another avenue literally scares the life out of me as I've had dreamt of trading full time for such a long time. I guess all of these thoughts/feelings add up during a trading period and lately I'm finding myself mentally exhausted from trading and it's just an ongoing circle. Thankfully I've got 8 days off in a couple of weeks as I'm off to the States to play some golf which will be a fantastic experience.

I don't think I've really written anything of use, haha but it has helped to write a few things down.

acardrick

Founding Member
I've been thinking of ways to write this post for a while and find the right words to summarise my thoughts and feelings.

I think one aspect of trading overlooked is the mental strain it takes. It may not be so prevalent in part time traders but for myself who trades full time, I experience a lot of emotions and fatigue from trading. I was discussing with my parents and wife and we all agreed that 10-11 weeks at a time is the maximum before needing a break. Sitting down every single week day and starting with a blank canvas having to find ways to do the best job possible to make money is often very tricky.

With the timezone I work from, I often don't get to bed until 12.30-1am in the morning and I find it quite hard to switch the brain off so it takes another 30 mins or an hour to get to sleep. With the kids up at 6.30am I've had to find a way to adapt to not a huge amount of sleep and when the kids are at school I'll often have a morning snooze to try and recharge. However, I feel guilty for wasting the day so I'll often either try and take the ski out or play some golf to get some fresh air and energise myself.

I'm a very optimistic person, sometimes too much so but on occasions I'll stop and think what would happen if my trading stopped working and I could no longer make money. The notion of having to find another avenue literally scares the life out of me as I've had dreamt of trading full time for such a long time. I guess all of these thoughts/feelings add up during a trading period and lately I'm finding myself mentally exhausted from trading and it's just an ongoing circle. Thankfully I've got 8 days off in a couple of weeks as I'm off to the States to play some golf which will be a fantastic experience.

I don't think I've really written anything of use, haha but it has helped to write a few things down.
Hi John

I can totally understand how you feel. I am finding difficult to provide for my family at the moment but I do not have the stress that you have every day by laying my soul bare to show every trading move that you make to earn a living. One day I would love to meet you in person, but at the moment I don't need to as I really respect everything that you do to earn a living through trading. As far as I am concerned you need to recharge your batteries as often as you think is required to give you the edge to continue to earn a living in a very demanding field.