What's new
Flip Flop Trading

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as access all indicators and scripts.

Countdown to Brexit

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
As I currently don't live in the UK, I found this an interesting read and cleared up a few questions.

British voters decided to leave the European Union (EU) on June 23, 2016, but the referendum itself did not take Britain out of the bloc. Careless headlines aside, the U.K. is not "post-Brexit": it remains very much a member of the EU, every bit as subject to its trade and immigration rules as it was on June 22, 2016. A lot has changed: the pound fell 16.8% against the dollar from the date of the vote to the end of February 2017, and relationships between London and the EU's 27 other capitals are notably frostier. But actual Brexit comes later, if it comes at all.
What are readers thoughts? Were you a stay or leave?

Full article here.

Spinning D

Founding Member
A leaver- we can re establish trading links with the Commonwealth which will soon become a bigger economic entity than Europe.

We will also be free of EU Law -which has served us poorly

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The date has been set for 29th March for article 50 to be invoked and to start the 2 year process.

Sterling fell from a three-week high against the dollar on Monday, on the news Prime Minister Theresa May will trigger Britain's divorce proceedings with the European Union on March 29, launching two years of negotiations.

May's government said her permanent envoy to the EU had informed European Council President Donald Tusk of the date when Britain intends to invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty - the mechanism for starting its departure from the bloc
Full article here.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a reasonably good read on the speech that BOE member Broadbent made this morning in the UK.

He talks about the relationship of the Pound and why it has reacted like it has to the leave vote.

While we don’t know precisely what’s in the collective mind of the foreign exchange market, in my view there are two broad possibilities: Brexit is expected either to weaken domestic demand or raise the cost of exporting.
Full article here.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
A good article on the expected costs of Brexit available here.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
EURUSD getting pumped on some Article 50 and Brexit chatter....more to follow.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent live blog available here.

You can also read the Article 50 letter here.

Causing the Euro to wobble and EURGBP is under a heavy offer tone and reaching key support.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an article discussing the finer points of what Europe is proposing in terms of exit conditions for the UK.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
EU members met and discussed Brexit and are determined to set strict exit conditions from Britain and think they are trying to over-simply matters.

Full article here.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Whilst digesting the NFP figures and the confirmation of a likely rate hike in June by the FED, I was reading an article on the ever present Brexit talks and the bill looking to be imposed by the EU. Looks like it's going to be a real sticking point.

Full story here.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Some more back and forth between the UK and the EU regarding how best to handle the upcoming negotiations.

Read more here.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Brexit negotiations due to begin today. Here's an article covering the main points.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Some news hitting the wires that talks have hit deadlock which has hit the £ hard thus far.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Sterling rallied to daily highs earlier, this could be the source.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
This article suggests there's a 50/50 chance of halting Brexit. Hmm. Looks like it was responsible for the 100 pip drop and then immediate reversal on GBP pairs.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
The Wall St Journal reporting the UK and EU have agreed a broad deal on transition terms. GBP spiked 20 pips on the release of that. GBP gaining big ground on the majors throughout the UK session thus far.

acardrick

Founding Member
With 365 days left until Brexit I am interested on how other forum members feel about how things are going so far.

As a remainer I can't say that I am optimistic with the process or potential outcomes.

From my perspective the UK economy seems to be very weak at the moment.